Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mountain Laurel Designs DuoMid Review

I have been looking for a lightweight alternative to a tent for my backcountry outings.  After some extensive research, I decided on a tarptent, specifically the DuoMid made by Mountain Laurel Designs.  The DuoMid weighs in at 17 oz., but that doesn't include tent stakes, or the single trekking pole required to pitch it.  Since most people use trekking poles anyway, the weight of them can't really be factored in.

There are several options available with the DuoMid.  The first is the color, either Yellow or Gray, I went with the gray.  The second is the fabric; the two choices are cuben fiber or SilNylon.  The cuben is $200 more expensive, but weighs 4 ounces less.  I didn't want to spend $200 for a weight savings of 4 ounces, so I went with the standard SilNylon material.  I also elected to add the perimeter bug netting.  This netting is around the bottom of the tarp, its about a foot long in all places and is angled into the tent.  I am glad I added this, because with the 3 ounce tarp I bring along, this tarptent turns into a bug-free, 4-wall, and floored shelter.

Overall my first impressions of the DuoMid are great.  It is extremely roomy, with more than enough room for two to sleep (without gear, comfortable) and a huge shelter for one person.  It is very easy to pitch.  I setup it up for the first time, by myself, in under 3 minutes.  The only thing I would change is having the guylines be installed before shipping.  The guylines are supplied, but they aren't cut into correct lengths or installed onto the tarp tent.  It is a very easy process, and easy to follow directions are supplied online, but why not just do it in the factory where are the tools needed are readily available?

Overall, a very good buy that I am extremely happy with.  Now the only thing is seeing how durable it is after substantial use.  I will post a picture later of the pitched DuoMid from my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment